Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Kutip kutip.. old contengs.

“Are you sure you don’t want a bite, Mukhriz?”

Mother’s voice was dimmed out immediately when the door slammed shut. I wiped the sweat from my face with the back of my hand, feeling a sticky substance smearing from my hand to my cheeks. Involuntarily, I let out a whimper. In my rush to the bathroom, my knee slammed against the electric guitar near the gray door. I reached out for the door knob and choked on a scream when I saw the red liquid stain the metal globe.

Hands shaking, knees on the verge of collapsing, I managed to burst through the door and cling to the sink counter. In the mirror, I slowly took in my reflection. A pungent odor caught my nostrils just as I glimpsed the blood streak on my cheek. A moan escaped my lips as I furiously pumped at the soap dispenser. The red sticky substance on my fingertips mixed evenly with the shower gel in the palm of my hand, the color itself suddenly giving me a mad urge to giggle.

I watched the bubbles turn red as I desperately dragged my nails over my skin, trying to get rid of all the blood. I pulled the drawers underneath the counter out in my search for a bottle of bleach. They could not accuse me of anything if they had no proof. I groaned in frustration; mother had been holding a mop when I arrived, she must have taken the bleach downstairs.

I continued my effort to scrape the blood off my hands. It was only after I started noticing something strange did I finally stop. Instead of being washed away by the tap water, the blood seemed to bubble and gurgle noisily on my skin instead. The sudden warmness was all that I could take. My stomach heaved as I vomited my insides over the sink counter. I gagged when I realized all of it was blood; bright, red blood.

My knees collapsed under me, dragging me down onto the cold floor. I heard someone sobbing and jerked my head around, trying to find out who was in my room. In my panic, I did not realize that the sobbing was coming from me. I stared at the dripping blood from the counter and closed my eyes tightly. Through the ringing in my ears, the darkness behind my eyelids, I found peace. Then he came to me, grinning at me, revealing teeth stained with thick blood.

I jerked myself into a sitting position, finding myself staring straight into the mirror. I saw him behind me, taunting me, teasing me with his bloody grin. Yet when I whirled around, he was gone. What was left instead, on the floor, were pools of water from the tap running behind me. My hands, though they were red and quite bloody, was now free of his thick blood and grime.


kuroneko '07
School Essay Competition

No comments: