Monday, September 3, 2007

A Story... by WhiteWizard 2002

Chapter One

“Is! Is! Wake up. It’s already six-thirty.”
Ismail grumbled at the sound of his sister’s voice.
“Mom said if you don’t wake up right now, I have her permission to break down this door and use any means necessary to wake you up myself !
Ismail opened his eyes and his room slowly came into focus.
“Alright then, on the count of three, One…Two…Thrr-“
“Okay ! Okay ! I’m up. Are you satisfied ?” said Ismail, half-shouting. Then he heard sudden footsteps. His sister had gone down the staircase. Eventually, he got up and walked sleepily towards his bathroom. He flicked the light switch open and looked at the mirror.
A strapping fifteen-year old boy was staring back at him, his bright green eyes twinkled under his dark brown hair.
After a few minutes, he opened a cabinet right above the mirror and reached for his toothbrush and toothpaste to brush his teeth. Then he took off his boxers and went inside the shower box for a quick bathe.
He opened the door and grabbed a towel nearest to the shower box and wrapped it around himself. He then walked out of the bathroom and got dressed just as his mother’s voice came echoing from downstairs.
“Is ! Aren’t you ready yet ? Don’t forget your Subuh prayer. Hurry up, your breakfast is getting cold.”
Ismail prayed very fast and when he had finished, he went down to the kitchen to have some breakfast. His sister, Tengku Ana, was eating her breakfast silently at the dining table. Their mother, Diana, was busy with her cooking. She had emerald green eyes, which both Ismail and Ana had inherited, and dark brown hair, just like Ismail’s. Ismail sat down beside Ana and reached towards a plate of sausages. He tipped about two or three sausages into his plate and began to eat.
“Where’s dad, by the way ?” Ismail asked his mother.
“He had gone out very early to his new office. He said something about a welcome-breakfast buffet,” answered his mother.
Ismail’s father, Tengku Mansur, was the reason they had to move to Malaysia. His father used to work for a petroleum company in the United States, but he was promoted and had to move to Malaysia, where his company had opened a new branch. Ismail’s brother, Tengku Adam, had already started his own business at New York, so he had to stay there.
After clearing away his plate, Ismail was about to go back to his room when his mother said, “Is, I have to attend Ana’s school orientation, so I don’t know when I’ll be back. If I’m not back by lunchtime, you can go out and eat lunch if you want to. Here - take some money just in case.”
Ismail’s mother reached in her handbag and took out a fifty Ringgit note. Ismail grabbed it and continued on towards his room. Once there, he immediately turned on his computer and accessed the internet. He opened his personal e-mail and checked to see if his best friends, Daniel Goodman and Terri Whitesun had written to him. Indeed both had. Daniel’s e-mail was at the very top of his list, meaning he had sent it only yesterday. Ismail opened the e-mail and read it;



Dear Is,
How’s Malaysia? I hope it’s not too hot there. It’s still freezing here in New York. By the way, how are you doing? I have some bad news for you. Since you’re not here, the swimming team had made Robert Isengard the Captain. Could you believe that? The thick-headed jock, captain of the swimming Team. Just thinking of the idea makes me want to puke - O-oh, I heard my mom calling, got to go, bye !

Your very Best Friend,
Dan
P.s. The whole class miss you.



And the e-mail from Terri was even longer.

Dear Is,
Are you doing alright? I do hope you are. It’s really boring here without you. Now it’s only Dan and me, and you know he can be quite annoying sometimes. How it is like in Malaysia? I heard that it’s very beautiful there. And it’s a very historical country, too. Do you know that Malaysia achieved its independence in 1957? And by the way, have you heard about Robert Isengard? He was made captain of the Swimming team. I can’t believe it too. Sorry, but I have to go. Got a lot of chores to finish.

Sincerely,
Terri

No comments: